07 5641 0585


3 April 2014



The Migration Institute of Australia is concerned about reports of alleged visa scams and reminds persons considering applying for an Australian visa that the very best defense against becoming the victim of fraud, is using a Registered Migration Agent (RMA).

The MIA recommends that you use an RMA who is an MIA Member. The MIA is the peak body for Australian migration advice professionals and each of its Members is registered. It is a not-for-profit association and a Member of Professions Australia.

Potential migrants need to be wary when looking for migration advice and make sure they hire the expertise of an RMA. MIA Member Agents are required to uphold the mandatory Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) Code of Conduct as well as the MIA Members’ Code of Ethics and Practice.

If people seek migration assistance from those who say they have connections with Immigration and pay huge sums of money to seek a visa, then they should be very cautious.

“The old maxim applies: If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is, so people should always seek professional migration advice from a registered MIA member,” said National President of the

MIA, Ms Angela Chan FMIA.

In Australia, migration agents must be registered with the Office of the MARA.

“There are more than 100 different visa subclasses, which can prove extremely difficult to navigate.

If consumers do not use a registered migration agent, then they may receive poor advice and will have difficulty in seeking redress when things go wrong,” said Ms Chan.

All MIA Members undertake a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) training program annually, designed to promote a standard of excellence in education and services in the migration profession.

“It is illegal to give migration advice unless you are registered in Australia and the MIA strongly urges the Australian Government to extend this requirement to people providing Australian immigration advice overseas. This would bring Australia into line with other countries such as New Zealand, Canada, the USA and the UK,” said Ms Chan.


Source: Migration Institute of Australia} else {

Comments are closed.